Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sewing Update and Bible Reading

I finally got back into the swing of things sewing wise and have had, thankfully, a (relatively) successful week so far.  I got about 5 different dresses cut out, but I still have a lot more to sew before the end of summer.  Yikes!  I better get cracking.  I did have a minor set back though.  At the beginning of summer, I got this gorgeous, really nice quality red and cream gabardine that I had in mind for a certain 50's dress.  I finally got around to it this week.  Yay! However, I usually lay my fabric out to cut on our kitchen counter because its the only place long enough to do that.  But, with the size of the skirt pieces and the width of the fabric (60 in), I had to lay the entire piece of fabric out on the floor, unfolded.  Bleh.  I hate when I have to do that.  And here we come to the lesson of the story kids.  Always make sure all your pieces are pinned or you have enough room for everything before you start cutting.  You would think the amount of time I have been sewing I would know that by now, but no, I still have to be told that.  In fact, I believe I had a similar problem not too long ago... yeah.  It takes me a couple times for something to really sink in.  So, as you probably guessed, I ran out of fabric.  I got everything cut out, with the strips on the bodice going up and down, and the stripes on the skirt pieces going side to side, but didn't leave enough room to even get half of the last skirt piece cut out.  Stupid me. 
But, thankfully, they still had it on the website I found it on, so I didn't panic for long.  Yay!  So it is on its way, along with a few other fabric pieces that I did not need, and it will be made shortly. 
 I also am starting to sew my first mail order pattern, and let me just say they are not one for picture diagrams or instructions.  Jeesh.  I thought normal vintage patterns were bad compared to current day ones.  Nope.  They are a cake walk compared to mail order patterns, so we'll see how it turns out. 

And, I finished a blouse today!  Yay!  I have been working on this blouse for about 1 month now, so I thought it was time the poor thing was finished properly.  I don't usually use bias tape to finish the neck and bottom edges, but I thought it was a nice contrast for the fabric this time. 
And this is my deer caught in the headlights look, lol.  What a horrid picture, but it is the only one I have of the blouse untucked, so you can see the rounded edges with the binding.

BIBLE READING
Alrighty, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Today I read Exodus 29-Numbers 8:14.  I have to say, and I'm sure most Christians agree, these are not the most exciting or engaging scripture passages to read.  All they are accounts of all the rules the Israelites were required to follow.  So, yeah, this is probably going to be the shortest amount i will ever write.  However, at the end of Exodus, Moses asks God to show himself to Moses, and instead of refusing, God replies in Ex 33: 21-23 :
The Lord continued, "Look, stand near me on this rock. As my glorious presence passes by, I will hide you in the crevice of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.Then I will remove my hand and let you see me from behind. But my face will not be seen."
 How awesome is that.  I mean, it's God.  The Almighty, Awesome God and instead of laughing at Moses or refusing or doing whatever he could have rightly done to him for asking, he allows Moses of seeing his back as he goes past.  Can you imagine the trepidation, the fear, the exhilaration and the wonderment he must have felt.  Wow.  I know I should probably have more to say on all of the commandments and rules they had to follow, but I will be honest, I had to force myself to get through these chapters this week.  They were just incredibly dry and dull and some of the things they did back then were just so outlandish compared to nowadays it just made me smile at the differences between us.  But, hopefully now that I am almost to Deuteronomy it will get better and pick up and I will actually be able to post something enlightening here.

1 comment:

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

that outfit is so pretty! and the one you are making looks so lovely. you are quite talented!!

yeah that is really awesome that God was able to physically reveal Himself to Moses, but not his face or anything. of course he sees him constantly now!