Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Little Dress

Not much to report for this week.  It has been rather slow and uneventful.  I did try out for the musical our church is putting on, last week.  They tried to make it a community show, but I am not sure how many people tried out who don't actually go to our church.  I sang Not While I'm Around, from Sweeney Todd.  I have not seen this live, but absolutely love the bloody movie :D  It went pretty good, except for the fact that my CD didn't play in any of their players, so I had to sing it a Capella.  I did a fairly decent job at staying on key, I think.  Hopefully I will find out something this week....maybe.
Hmmm...what else, what else.  I have been marathoning  the first season of Merlin from BBC.
Merlin Picture 
It is such a charming program, and the main characters are just adorable and cheeky.  And it has Anthony Stewart Head, from Buffy in it.  I try to follow most people who have been lucky enough to be in Joss Whedon's work, so yay!  It just makes me like the show even more.  I can't imagine why I didn't watch it on NBC last year.  All of the actors in it are quite fabulous, even the younger ones. I don't know why American programming cannot find decent younger actors, because there are plenty of them in England.  Every show I've seen from England that has involved younger actors, I have never once said to myself that they can't act, yet I am constantly bashing myself over the head due to amount of horrible acting I witness everyday from younger actors on American programming.  I think I might rant about this later.
And in things I learned from Glee this week:
Matthew Morrison can kick some serious singing butt, as witness by Dream On, but you would never know it since all they ever have him do is rap.  Yuck.
Apparently, according to Jesse St. James, who yall know I love, befriend is synonymous with seduce.  Who knew?
Lea Michele looks so much like Idina Menzel it isn't even funny.
There is a Broadway lovers anonymous group.  And I think I need to join.


And in more vintagey and interesting news, I sewed a 1940's dress.  This was one of those patterns that I had to size up 2 sizes, and it actually turned out quite cute, in my opinion.  And it fits well.  I hate things that are too tight.  However, I must have been on some hardcore drugs when I was cutting this dress out...I kid,  I kid.  But seriously, there were two pieces, the front center and back center skirt pieces that I didn't lay on the fold, yet they were supposed to be there.  However, I did in fact fold the actual pattern pieces in half and laid those on the fold of the fabric.  Yeah, Caitlin.  What were you thinking?  Oh well.  It all worked out in the end.  The skirt didn't get to have any pleats in it like it was supposed to, but I did add a bow to the belt instead to add something else to it.  I finished it in time to wear it to church today which was good since we were having a special one service this week.  However, my hair did not turn out as fabulous.  I took my time and made tiny curls and pinned them up for everlasting staying power just like my new book suggested, and when I unpinned them, it barely look like I had touched them at all with a curling iron.  I was sad, and it made me late for church since we had to be there two hours early for orchestra and choir.  But I did the best with what I had.  And of course red lipstick.  I don't think this outfit would be complete without red lips.  My oboe reed suggested otherwise, but I didn't give in, and instead ended up with a red stained oboe reed.  Yeah, that's not too hot.
(Oh, and that ugly red thing is not some God awful purse or weird contraption.  It's my puppy's leash)
What do you thing?
And here's a close up of how my hair turned out.  Not a good hair day.

At the end of church, since it was a special service this week, we had finger foods to eat and my mom and I were just hung out and talked when this lady came up to me.  I actually knew who she was because her son is my 4 year old Sunday School class, but she introduced herself to me anyway.  Then she went on to say that she just had to stop me and tell me how much she loved the clothes I wear every week.  She said that she sees me walk across the parking lot every Sunday and always admires them.  I thanked her profusely and chatted for a bit because it is always nice to hear when someone actually appreciates your clothes.  It can be hard for girls who wear vintage clothes at times, because for the most part, people your own age don't really understand it or even like it.  When you go out in public, you tend to get a lot of strange looks and questions because of what you wear.  But I have found that people with more ecclectic taste or people who are older appreciate your style.  Girls who wear vintage, am I right?  Is this what you have found, or have people you know been nothing but accepting of how you dress?  I am curious, because I don't know anyone else who dresses like me in my town, but I know in places like LA and Portland, just from the blogs I read, there are plenty of people who wear vintage and girls can find each other pretty easily.  I guess that is it for now.  I am going to make Gruyere cheese crackers tomorrow to use up the rest of the cheese I used in the pear pie I wrote about a while back, so look for that post tomorrow.  Until then,

No comments: