Saturday, May 8, 2010

And I am terrible at taking pictures again.

Well, jeez.  I feel like I haven't written in quite a long time.  All this past week, I set out to cut out all of the patterns I had fabric for, and so I did.  About 12 different outfits worth.  Whew!  And, I did not take a single picture.  But I wouldn't want to bore you with that anyways.  It would be terribly boring to look at.  But believe me, it took quite a long time especially since about half of them I had to figure out how to alter.  I have decided I quite dislike altering patterns.  It takes way too much of my time to do, but one does feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of altering to know that you are going to have an outfit that will fit you perfectly, even if it is a pain. Then I ran out of pins in the end of cutting out all the patterns so there were two dresses that did not get cut out, but they are waiting ever so patiently for me to get some things sewn together so there will be more pins to use!
I am almost done with my 1940's blouse made out of dotted swiss.  It kind of looks like feedsack fabric, so when I do finish I will take pics.  I also finished a 40's playsuit.  Quite cute, but shows more skin than I am used to.  Not sure if you'll get to see those pictures. 
During these sewing times, I have been watching a lot of Pushing Daisies. 
Pushing Daisies picture from tv crazy
Don't know what Pushing Daisies is??  You should.  It was the cutest, most adorable show on about a year ago, and then those terrible fiends at ABC canceled it because it didn't have high enough ratings.  How dare they?  But as you can see, it is full of vibrant and adorable characters, lovely looking pies, and heightened crimes that they have to solve each week.  And it stars Lee Pace who is about as adorable as you can get.  I am quite fond of that man.  And did I mention pies?  It makes me want to bake pies.  Specifically, a pear pie with Gruyere cheese crust.  Does that not sound delicious.  I think I shall make it for mother's day tomorrow.
Last thing I have to write about, I promise:D  I went to a tea party today.  Oh yes I did.  And it was adorable and super fun, despite it being the coldest its been in about a month.  We had lovely and delicious finger foods and tea.  I have never been the biggest fan of tea, but I have found that if I put in two packets of sugar and about a tablespoon full of honey in it to mask any sense of teaness in it, it is quite enjoyable, and about 100 calories more than tea normally is.  And of course, it was a perfect time to wear a fabulous dress and hat.

I also wore this dress for Easter Sunday.  It is really from the 60's, but definitely looks 50's.  Too bad it has never really gotten a proper outing.  During Easter it was hidden beneath choir robes, and today it was too cold so I had on a sweater and pea coat.  Someday dress, everyone will be able to see you, I promise.  Anyone who wears vintage, or knows about vintage, what do you wear to stay warm??  Instead of ugly and unflattering sweatshirts and sweatpants, what did one wear to lounge around in on cold days?  I know there are just sweaters and cardigans, but there has to be something else.  So people with more knowledge than I, please let me know in comments.
My mother also went, and looked quite lovely in her modern dress and my vintage hat. 

And yes.  I really am that white.  I have gone past the days of fake tanning or getting sunburned in attempts to get tan, and have embraced being white.
As you can see, none of the younger ladies kept their hats on, except for me.  I should have taken a picture of the other tables because everyone had on such fabulous hats.  It was hatspasm.  And it reminded me of being younger and pretending to have tea parties. And if your reading this, Lauren Brake, didn't we have an American Girl tea party one year?  I have vague memories, but nothing is coming in clear.
Well, off to find a good recipe for a Gruyere crust and watch Doctor Who.  What are you doing this weekend?? Please comment.  I like to live vicariously through others who have more of a life than me:D 

No comments: