Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day

Just thought I should do a quick post about Mother's Day.  My dad's side of the family all live within 20 miles of each other, so we have a lot of family dinners, and Mother's Day was no exception.  I was definitely in an ambitious baking mode on Sunday, so I did make that pear pie with Gruyere cheese  crust I was talking about.  The recipe I used is this one.  I don't even know why I made a pie.  I don't even like pie.  I'm one of those people that will take chocolate over fruity filling pastries any day, but Pushing Daisies ruined that habit right quick.  How can you not love pie while watching that show?  Well, I can't anyways.  I did have some problems with the crust, though.  My butter was more room temp than chilled like it should have been, so my crust dough was way too soft and I had to add about a 1/2 cup more flour than it said, and we didn't have any port wine for the sauce.  However, our neighbors saved us with a delicious berry liquor to use instead.  Believe me when I say it was probably the best thing I've ever had alcohol wise, and me and my dad stole a sip straight out of the measuring cup...shhh!  The crust turned out to be like a light and flaky cheese cracker, and the pears were just perfect.

I wasn't sure how it was going to go over with my family because it is such a different type of pie, but they shocked me.  I think almost everyone had a piece, and sadly, this

very sad and pathetic amount was all that was left.  I guess it was a hit after all.

And then, after dinner, we took my grandmother's present to their house.  Despite it being Mother's Day, and me not be a mother at all, I still got a present too.  She gave me a pair of kid skin gloves. 

They are absolutely the softest thing I have ever felt.  They stretch very slowly as you put them on and literally fit like a glove.  Ha ha.  That was bad.  Sorry.  But anyways, I was so happy to get these, but then she continued to tell me stories of all of these designer hats my great-grandmother used to have but she gave away in a church rummage sale some time ago.  And then I was sad.

No comments: