Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cut out Day


Welp, today was Wendesday.  I don't work on Wednesdays.  Such is the life of a vintage doll with only a part-time job.  It is nice, though, to stay in one's pajamas all day and not bother to look nice because you know you are not going anyway (in layman's terms, no pictures of me today).  So, I usually use Wednesdays as a cut out day, meaning I start my new project for the rest of the week by planning and cutting out the new outfit and get all the boring things out of the way like doing tailor tacks and reading over the directions.  I got a little over ambitious today and planned on working on all three outfits.  What I actually got done was slightly, shall we say...less ambitious.  I worked first on the Du Berry pattern, which is my first time sewing with such a pattern.  I call this my sailor dress and am using a pink stripey fabric.  When I actually get this dress done I will tell you why I call it my sailor dress.  It is quite cute.
When I took out all the pieces to try to figure out which one is which, and which way it is supposed to be laid out, the last piece I unfolded was the largest, longest pattern piece I had ever seen.  Seriously, this thing was as long as our kitchen counter.  At first I thought it was a mistake and they had forgotten to cut the piece in two, but no.  I looked on the back and sure enough that was the correct length for the piece.

I had some problems figuring out where to lay everything, and had to obviously cut the skirt pattern in half. But because the stripes had to go a certain way for the skirt, and then a different way for the top, and I would have been better off getting about 1/4 yard more fabric.  C'est la vie.  It all worked out in the end.  But at the end of laying everything out and cutting, it took me about 2 hours more than normal and I was exhausted, so
and

you will have to wait until next week.  Besides the fact that I have alter both of them up a size or two.  Sadly, I am not a vintage size 12 or 14, but nothing can get in my way of making those two very cute outfits.  No siree.

No comments: