Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let's Play Dress Up, Shall We?


Well, I finally finished my silky, dressy 1946 dress.  This dress has been going strong for about 2 weeks now, and all it needed for about the last week was for me to redo the hem.  I had machine stitched the hem, but it looked truly awful for such a fancy dress, so I took it out (which kills me to do every time I make a mistake) and repinned it so  I could handstitch it.  Too time consuming for this on the go vintage doll.  Handstitching, especially with such a fine fabric as the one I used, requires such precision skills which I do not possess in any way shape or form.  For the life of me, even if I had a line to follow and guides on either side, I still could not cut a straight line, let alone sew one.  And then on top of that, I had run out of my perfectly matched thread, so as you can tell from the picture, had to use a purple thread instead.  Yuck.  Good thing it barely shows, and no one really looks at the bottom of your dress too carefully anyways, right? Right? 
Anyways, I think this dress has very interesting lines, which were quite difficult to figure out how to sew, due to the lack of proper pictorial instructions.  I probably stared at the one picture explaining how to place to two pieces together for about 20 minutes before giving up and sewed the back seams instead.  But I think the final product turned out pretty cute.  And I added the broach at the corner of the two seams, which is from the early 1900's I think.  I got it at a flea market for a 4-H project back when I was a sophomore in high school.  But I think it adds some sparkly goodness to dress, so yay!
I contemplated whether to take a picture of me in the dress or not, but I won out.  I think the lines are too complicated to really see without it being on someone.  But please forgive the non-vintagy hair I am sporting.  My dad had to spike our well with chlorine last night, which is about as gross as it sounds.  It's like taking a shower in a pool.  Gross.  So, needless to say, my hair was not in the mood to be pin curled like normal.  But the hat is super cute.  It was my favorite find from the flea market last Saturday.  It is actually from the 1940's and has gorgeous netting with velvet butterfly accents on it and green. velvet ribbon.  I will do a post about all my finds at the flea market soon.


Yes, I know this picture is already posted above, but it didn't feature Dexter, and he needed his blog debut.  And his face is too cute.  It pretty much sums up his entire confusion face he had on while "mommy" was taking all these crazy pictures of herself...
And forgive my shameless picture posting.  I was just having fun!

1 comment:

Cilla said...

You are gorgeous but a complete dork.