Friday, August 27, 2010

Garage Sale

A few days ago I was trolling along on Craigslist and stumbled across a yard sale only about 20 minutes from my house with promises of vintage and retro things.  So obviously, I got very excited and left with my mother as soon as I got home from work.  I found a few good things, but most of the hats and dresses they had, and a Navy jacket from WWII, had obviously not been cared for properly and had tons of moth holes and tears in them.  That made me sad.  But I did find some 50's glasses, a makeup case, 30s/40s shoes, and a knitting pattern book filled with great dress and sweater patterns.  Now if I only knew how to knit....hmmm
I also cut out three things this week that I am going to start working on.  A few weeks ago my mom went to a garage sale and found about 7 yards of this navy blue fabric (unsure of what it is) that has a nice random thread texture to it.  I had enough to cut out a three piece suit from a reproduction pattern from Simplicity

I think that will come in handy when I finally start substitute teaching this year. 

A few weeks ago, I was hanging out with some friends, and one of them took pretty pictures, though I don't technically remember that night very well, I did wear a 60's wrap skirt I made.

I think I am going to start making a list each week of movies I have watched while sewing, cutting out fabric, or doing  tailor tacks, because I am pretty sure that there will be some sort of trend or commonality to them.  Well we'll see.

This week, I watched: Newsies (love love love it), Secret of NIMH (childhood favorite), Beauty and the Beast (one of the best Disney movies ever), Serenity (best sci movie I have seen, but watch the TV show first, you won't regret it), and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (my favorite Harry Potter book and movie).

And lets see.  I am going to get those stupid things listed in my Etsy store tonight if it kills me.  Goodness me, it has taken me forever to get those up, but the past few weeks I have been busy with Godspell that sucked up my life, haha.

And if anyone is interested, I think I am going to make a list of the books I read each week and grade them.  I read a lot, like probably 3 or 4 books a week due to the nature of my job, however, most of the books I read are urban fantasy or sci-fi, so I am not sure how popular those books will be with my readers lol.
First, I finished Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong.  This is the 10th book in the series Women of the Otherworld.  Whereas I love Kelley Armstrong's young adult series, I only mildly tolerate most of the books in the adult series because almost every book is a different narrator.  The series deals mostly with necromancers, witches, half demons, and werewolves.  The books in the series that deal with the werewolves are my favorite, while the other ones are sort of hit or miss.  Frostbitten does follow the werewolves, but it had so much more sexual content in it than the ones I had read before, I honestly do not know if I will continue the series.  It is common for urban fantasy books to have some sexual content, some more than others, but I can honestly say I have never read it this bad before.  C+

I also started reading the Mortal Instruments series again by Cassandra Clare.  These are young adult books, but they are so well written and take place in this massive environment that reminds me of the feel of Harry Potter.  It is definitely not an intimate story like most YA books are.  The first one is called City of Bones.  I'm a sucker for covers, and I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by a cover, but this one is just so lovely I will admit that I would have read it even if I hadn't known anything about it.  The first one is a little boring at first, some explanations of things that could have been written in about a paragraph took pages and pages to read, but the characterizations are just wonderful.  I guess that is what I focus on most.  Yeah action is fine to read but if there isn't any character development to be seen I don't see the point in reading the book.  The basic plot premise for this is the main character is a 15 year old girl, Clary, who lives with her mom and has surrogate father of sorts, Luke, who is her mom's best friend.  One random night she goes to a dance club and suddenly is able to see this group of three teenagers called shadowhunters that her best friend cannot see. When she follows them further she sees them attacking this seemingly innocent human, but is really a demon.  The three teens figure out that Clary can see them, which is not normal,  and she gets drawn into their world and discovers things about herself that she never knew.  A-

And last but not least, my uncle became a father for the first time, and I could not be more thrilled for him.  She is just the most beautiful thing ever, not that I am biased or anything.  Here's Rachael Jane:
Oh, and I finally started a plan to read the Bible in 90 days.  If all goes according to plan, I will be done just before Thanksgiving.  I hope it won't offend my readers, but I sort of would like to post a little something each day about what I read.  Not anything too deep or anything, unless I am led to, but just something new that I didn't know or random thoughts I had while reading.  Unless I get major protest about this, I plan on starting to write a post tomorrow.

1 comment:

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

that is quite a goal to read the Bible in 90 days!!
I've been slowly slowly reading through it for almost 4 years and am only in Luke because I go section by section (not chapter by chapter) to study and understand and dwell on it. Hope it goes well! I'd love to read what you read each day!!!